How Videos Can Boost Your Google+ Local SEO Efforts
by Alex Bungener
If you have no idea how videos on your site can help with your Google+ local SEO efforts, read on. People love videos. Videos are rich media and thus are more attention-grabbing, more engaging and easier to the eye compared to a whole page of gray text.
Consider the following benefits videos can contribute to your overall Google+ Local SEO campaign:
Videos are more visible online.
Following the launch of Universal Search, search engine results pages (SERPs) show not only news results but also photos and videos. The amazing thing is that video thumbnails have a way of figuring higher up in the results pages compared to purely organic text or images results.
Videos are more visible on mobile devices.
Video search results are also much more likely to make the 1st page of the search engines on mobile devices since videos are “mobile friendly”.
Videos attract more click-throughs.
In an aimClear study in 2011, it was found that in universal search results, videos registered a 41% higher click-through rate compared to only text formats.
Videos make your site pages more sticky.
Uploading videos on your site helps in lengthening the stay of your site visitors and readers. Your online guests tend to linger and look around your site as they watch or just listen to videos. Research has shown that visitors stay 2 minutes longer on a page with videos than on a text-only page. Now remember that Google has consistently considered longer stay as an indicator of relevance and quality. Bottomline? Videos result in better ranking over time.
Given the benefits of this simple act of uploading videos on sites, it is no wonder that major online retailers have leveraged on videos to boost their Google+ local SEO projects. One of the most video-laden business sites, for example, is Amazon.com. Need I say more? Uploading videos is an essential tool in your overall Google+ local SEO plan.
If you are convinced of the importance of videos, roll up your sleeves and start working on your videos now. Here are the best practices in making videos for your site:
- Make one general video. There should be one video which showcases the overall concept of your business in a comprehensive yet concise way.
- Make 4 more specific videos. Prepare 4 other videos which zoom in on specific products or services you are offering.
- Keep your videos short and sweet. Each of your videos should be no more than a minute in length as this is the optimum duration for holding your site visitors’ attention.
- Use Youtube. Surveys show that Youtube grabs 80% of the video results in Google, trumping other video search engines such as Metacafe and Vimeo.
- Make your videos useful. Google ranks informational videos higher compared to sales or advert-sounding ones.
- Make a keyword-rich title for each video. Remember, keywords are what people use to search for products and services.
- End with a call to action. The end part of the video should rouse your reader to make a specific action such as to get a quote, make a call or sign up a form.
So if you are serious about improving your business’s Goolge+ local SEO then you must include videos in your strategy. Contact Digital+ if you have any questions about creating videos or Google+ local SEO.